THIS COMPETITION IS CLOSED – PAGE LEFT HERE FOR REFERENCE
To enter, sing a terrific version of one (or more) of the songs listed under the example video. Use whatever accompaniment you like.
EXAMPLE VIDEO (You don’t have to make a lyric video like this: a basic audio demo with a still photo is fine, or a video of a live performance. More advanced videos will only be an advantage if there’s a tie for the prize).
All the demos below (except Sophisticated Lady) are sung by me, even though most are for a woman – hence the need for this competition!
There are a few men’s songs, but if you’re a bloke who likes one of the women’s songs, you could interpret it as a gay character singing about another man. Or you can just take a gender-neutral approach and sing whatever you want!
The first lot below are from Force Ten Gayle, a musical I’m working on. It’s about a superstar singer, Gayle Bailey, and her relationship with Jason, the son she gave away for adoption 25 years ago.
- Force Ten Gayle – Gayle Bailey’s signature tune
- Superfan – Jason’s adoptive mother Pat praises her favourite singer
- My Journey to the Past – Gayle invites Jason to write her autobiography
- The Things That I Put Up With – Willy, Gayle’s PA, bemoans his lot in life (could also be sung by a woman)
- My Darling Boy – Tearjerker for Gayle to sing alone on stage (could be sung by a father figure too)
- Where Were You? – Jason rails at Gayle for abandoning him as a baby
- The Woman I Am – Gayle’s climactic song
- Sophisticated Lady – starts out genteel and ends up somewhere else
- I Can’t Go On Like This – sarcastic tango
- My Man From St Tropez – rhapsodic love song
- One of the Greats – for a man or woman to sing
- So Debonair – lounge music about a ridiculously ideal man
- A Brit on Broadway – song for UK singers on the Great White Way
- The Man Who Put the Sham into Champagne – swaggering song about a love rat