- Make sure you understand the terms and conditions before entering.
- Make a video demo of your version of one of these songs. (The video demo can be an audio track with a still image, a live filmed performance or a ‘full’, edited video of any kind. The winning entry will be the best sung and arranged demo, but a sophisticated video might swing it in the event of a tie.)
- Upload it as a private video onto YouTube. Title your video like this: Name of song – your name – song by Neil Bastian.
- Include this text in the YouTube information section under the title: Entered for the £1000 Neil Bastian Song Prize (http://www.neilbastian.com).
- Compose an email with the title ‘Song Prize entry’, include the link to your video, and send it to email@example.com
- Make your demo public on YouTube.
- Share your link on social media including the phrase “Singers! I entered the £1000 #NeilBastianPrize neilbastian.com”
Repeat the above process each time if you decide to enter more than once. You can enter as many times as you like – with different songs, or even different versions of the same song. Duplicate entries of the same demo won’t count. Entering this competition constitutes your acceptance of its terms and conditions.
The closing date for entries is Tuesday 28 February 2017 at 11.59pm.
“Why do I have to email you my link before I’ve made it public?”
The first email received that contains your link will be presumed to be your genuine entry – any others after that containing the same link will be disregarded. (If you make it public straightway and forget to email me your entry, someone else could email me your link before you, pretending it’s theirs – unlikely, but possible).
“Why share my link on social media – isn’t it inviting others to compete against me?”
It’s in your interest to share your link and publicise the competition because the more people that enter, the higher the prize money gets (up to £1,000 if 50 or more people enter – see the full list of prize milestones).
Choosing the winner
After Tuesday 28 February 2017 at 11.59pm (the closing date) a shortlist will be drawn up of the 10 best entries, and a winner chosen. Date TBC – follow @Neil_Bastian on Twitter for news.
When the winner is chosen, I’ll reply to their original email to tell them, and request their bank account details so that the prize money can be transferred to them online.